Mail Order Catalog Design




Even though I love working on pattern designs, that is not what I do as a full time job. I spent 8 hours a day every day, working on mail order catalogs as a graphic designer. It's a very production intense job and require high photoshop skills as well as proficiency in other fabric and desktop softwares. I wish I could spend all those hours creating new patterns, illustrations and greeting cards, but that's not the case. So far my other less creative and more time consuming job is the one that pays my mortgage.  Only in my "spare" time I get to do a more creative work and enjoy my designs.

The pictures on this post show only a very small step in the photo manipulation for catalog design. First is the raw picture from a photo shoot, then the picture fixed in photoshop showing what was retouched. So, each time you look at a flawless model in a magazine think of the hours the designer spent on making her look like that.

Comments

  1. I love how you did this post. A true reality check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, I agree with you, I do enjoy entering though and the designs can always be sold somewhere else. P.S. I liked your photography entry, yours all sit well together better than the winner. I think I must have P.M.T.'cos I'm having a right moan at the moment. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. now you see, id kill for that job in some respects. TOTALLY. But i do get to make pretty papers from time to time. Just want to move to textiles next :) Shall we job swap ... for kicks and giggles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always amazing to see these sorts of before and after pictures. It's easy to overlook all the work that designers do for things like catalogs and advertisements, since the retouched photos look so natural and flawless. I suppose no one looks as nice in real life as the people in clothing ads look. Nice job on the pattern change, I had no idea such things could even be done. Great post, though! I'm sure I'll be pondering how much work went into photo editing next time I pick up a clothing catalog. I suppose we'd all like to spend more time on the things we love doing, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment